Friday, February 24, 2012

Divine Intervention

Many of you know that we have been praying for the arrival of our shipment of supplies for some time now. I was trusting in the Lord that it would come in December, January.... But as our supplies dwindled, and finally had to stop surgery yesterday I got really worried.. I scheduled an 8 yr old boy for surgery for this coming monday. I promised his mother that we would do surgery on Monday. But as the days progressed and it looked like I would have to cancel surgery for this little blind child, and the dozens of other blind that we would have to turn away.

So this morning in our weekly devotion at Boa Vista, we spent a special time in intercessory prayer. We all lifted our voices in prayer and asked for the shipment to be released from the customs officials today so we could continue to do the Lord's work with the blind.

  We got notice a few hours later that the shipment had been released. WOW! This is no small matter, the customs officials here are notorious for delaying and at times losing shipments all together. So we were all really excited to unload the container tonight.
Here is a picture of our administrator, David, helping unload the container this evening. He did so much work to get to this point, but I had to remind him that we had hired guys to unload this and he should let his back have a rest.
I'm so grateful to God for his faithfulness to me and to the work here in Angola. One of the privledges and challenges here is having to rely on God's power for so many things. We don't have control for the importation of supplies, our equipment is technologically challenged, the surgeries are difficult and the patients are inumberable. I have to rely on God's power here and it is teaching me that I can trust Him.
-John

1 comment:

  1. John, This is great news. We have been praying specifically, too. It seems Angola might be situated a little closer to Heaven than some other places on Earth---prayers sure get heard and answered there quickly! We enjoy the updates...keep 'em coming. We're praying for all of you.

    Jeff, Carolynne, and Grant

    ReplyDelete